Work With Us
Brandeis University Press has an opening for a general Intern for each of the Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters. Our internship offers the opportunity to be part of a small, friendly team working closely with editorial, production and design, sales, distribution, and marketing.
Press Intern Responsibilities include:
- Research and outreach to encourage course adoptions
- Promoting publications and the University Press, researching publicity and marketing opportunities, social media outreach, and supporting website maintenance
- Reading and reporting on unsolicited manuscript submissions, proof-reading ebooks, and marketing materials
- Creating promotional materials, both physical and electronic, and creating mailing lists to for specific titles or groups of titles
- Access to our title management system to help with managing backlist and new title data
- General office duties
- Assist royalties manager as necessary
The position is based in the Press’ offices in the University Library, and interns are expected to work in the office between 10 – 20 hours a week.
- Interns receive support from the Press Director, Editorial Director, Press Coordinator, Marketing and Publicity Coordinator, and Budget Manager
- In a small publishing company, interns will learn all aspects of the business of book publishing
- Interns receive training on our social media platforms, and our title management system (EAN), as well as access to Chicago reporting systems.
Funding / credits
The position is unpaid, and students must secure either external funding or course credit. Brandeis students who are interested in interning over the summer are encouraged to apply for the World of Work (WOW) Fellowship. Students from external colleges and universities should meet with their career centers to discuss funding and credit availability.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Organized, detail-orientated, and efficient in time management
- Proficient with computer software in a Mac environment, proficient with Word, Excel, Power Point, Adobe Acrobat
- Must be able to work independently and proactively as well as part of a team.
Interested applicants from Brandeis should submit a cover letter and one-page resumé and submit applications through Handshake. Students from external colleges and universities can submit the same materials to email@example.com.